Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Rock Creek Tavern

Location: Rock Creek Tavern, a charmingly rustic cottage that immediately welcomes you with the rich scent of woodsmoke. Hidden on a rural road between Hillsboro and Forest Park, this place feels like it's from another time and place completely. Which is especially incredible considering that according to the history, the whole thing burned down in 2002.



Fellow travelers: Just me! I was at a job in Hillsboro today so I took the opportunity to check this place out on my way home.

Favorite light: This mushroom light is the first thing that greets you at the entrance of this location. You think, "My goodness! That's unique!" And then when you get inside there are more mushroom lamps!




Favorite art: Did I mention the mushrooms? They are so incredible they count as both favorite light and favorite art. Having said that, runner up is this "Rock Creek Uroboros" painting. What does an ouroboros have to do with the tavern?


Food: pub poutine, chicken fried steak, RC

Passport stamps: Rock Creek Tavern


Other items of note:
  • No shakes at this location. Pity.
  • When the waitress took my passport, she immediately offered the history write-up. Yes, please! I wish every McMenamins did this.
  • They have shuffleboard and a pool table in the loft upstairs: nice and private/quiet.
  • Look at the moss on the roof!
  • I drove home the back way, over Skyline. Mt Hood was simply stunning today, and the Saint John's Bridge was so pretty I could hardly stand it. I hardly ever approach them from the northwest.

 

6 comments:

  1. So cool! I'd like to stop there sometime. Remind me to show you Birthingway'sMcMenamin's"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would love to see that, Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable mushrooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian wrote to say: "As a symbol of something that constantly re-creates itself, the ouroboros is perfect for a tavern that's been bombed, shut down, run over, and burned (twice). That painting has an interesting take on the ouroboros: it's classically a circle, but I like this form where it's closer to a Mobius strip."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying reading through your blog and McMenamin's adventures. We are on our second passports, and Rock Creek is our favorite pub. Did you know they have live music every night? Thanks for sharing your link in the Passport Adventures FB page. -- Meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Meg! Rock Creek was a totally unexpected gem. Congratulations on your Passport!

    ReplyDelete