Friday, December 5, 2014

John Barleycorns

Location: John Barleycorns, a location in Tigard. I stopped by after a job in Wilsonville, and so as with Sunnyside, I saw it in the dark. Which is a terrible shame, because the building looks absolutely beautiful. According to the history, it's a new building based on a Hawai'ian water pumping station. Which is both interesting and a little disappointing, because I was trying to imagine what this beautiful building used to be and how McMenamins must have rescued it from disrepair when Tigard was still an agrarian community.



Fellow travelers: Shu-Ju, who does not really understand why I'm doing the Passport but was game to go anyway since this location is near to her. :)

Push the button!
Favorite light: (Several observations)
  • The light of the beautiful full moon floating overhead was delightful. 
  • The large lanterns hanging at the entrance were probably my favorite. 
  • My least favorite light was the phone flashlight a man was using to read his menu, as it kept flashing in my eyes.
  • But honestly, I would have preferred a bit more light overall.
Favorite art: We sat beneath this lovely mermaid I wish I could have seen a bit better.


Food: Salmon w/ herbs, polenta, beets and an RC. Fancy!

Passport stamps: None! I forgot my passport again! Argh! I wanted to visit this location in the daylight anyway, I guess.

Redemption Jan09: I finally got the stamp!


Other items of note:
  • Alas, no milkshakes at this location.
  • Shu-Ju carries an intriguing collapsible bowl around with her for leftovers! If I could find the one she uses I would buy it.
  • This location has a nice patio which seems overwhelmed by the roar of the nearby freeway. 

2 comments: