Tuesday, November 11, 2014

McMenamins Tavern and Pool

Location: McMenamins Tavern & Pool. When the weather is windy and cold and you are having trouble at work, this is an excellent cozy location to play pool & talk about it with a friend.



Fellow travelers: Michaelmas, seen here drinking a hot apple cider. I asked him to hold his pinky like that.


Favorite light: Why does this location have what looks to be the light from the Blue Moon AND the light from the Barley Mill AND... whatever that third thing is?




Favorite art: This location has the classic McMenamins details I love: decorative borders, thematic art (especially Ruby and the pool-ball arts), beautiful tiles, interesting architecture, stained glass installations, and more. I was hoping that all the pool ball numbers might be hidden around, but I only saw two of them.








Food: Tasty (and messy) meatball sandwich w/ tots and a Terminator chocolate milkshake. I was so happy to discover this location has milkshakes. In fact, despite the chill, Michaelmas said, "It's never too cold for ice cream."

Passport stamps: None. This is the third time in a row I've forgotten my passport! Agh! And I was really hoping to get the "Play a game" stamp for this location.

updated Feb17.2015: I got the stamp!


Other items of note:
  • Pool is free until 5 p.m.! I won both games. Michaelmas and I are equally terrible, so we are well matched.





2 comments:

  1. I believe that third thing on the ceiling is a Typhoonigator. I'll go hunting in my childhood books and see if I can dig up the proof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sven! You're right; it is the "Wild-'n-Windy Typhoonigator" from Maurice Sendak's "One Monster After Another." What the heck is it doing in the Tavern & Pool?!

    ReplyDelete