Sunday, August 24, 2014

Barley Mill Pub

Location: After Sunday Parkways I visited the Barley Mill Pub, an undervalued gem on lower Hawthorne. I had to stand in the street to take this photo.


Fellow travelers: Katura & her daughter Magpie! And my bike (or at least, a bike very much like my bike, which is in the shop being fixed).



I should have invited Taz because she signed up for this location -- but forgot! Sorry, Taz! I am including you in this post in spirit.


Favorite light: lots of fun options here, but the neon sun is probably my favorite, especially since it parallels the Blue Moon light.


Favorite art: The barley mill is classic, of course.




But I was also charmed by what looked to be a lot homemade art to celebrate their 31st anniversary this year.




And the eyes under the stairs. 


Food: "House Special" steak sandwich, tots, root beer float, RC for the bike ride home.

Passport stamps: Barley Mill Pub


Other items of note:
  • I am very interested in coming back for their small upstairs area, which in the afternoon and early evening seems like a good place to have a meeting, a small writing group, study time, reading, etc.
  • They have an interesting hybrid indoor/outdoor seating area. But Hawthorne was too loud for me & Katura to enjoy eating outside.
  • When I ordered a root beer float, the waitress asked how many scoops of ice cream I wanted. (!!!) I have never been asked that before, but that should be the standard of service for ALL root beer floats! (In my case, though, it's just one.)
  • update Aug28: why didn't anyone tell me this was the very first McMenamins? Perhaps I should have brought an offering.

3 comments:

  1. I like the lightning spaghetti monster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure which one you are referring to. The cyclops, or the head with the orb coming out the top?

      Delete
  2. Two planets with the infinity ring shared between them.... Cyclops in the middle. :)

    ReplyDelete