Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Hillsdale Brewery & Public House

Location: Hillsdale Brewery & Public House in Hillsdale, just over the hill from downtown Portland. It's not-quite-a-stripmall in a stripmall location. In fact, according to the History, it used to be a Skipper’s Fish & Chips!



Fellow travelers: Just me, filling time between a morning job at PSU and an evening job at OHSU. The afternoons are the best time to be at McMenamins if you want to bring a laptop.

Favorite light: I can't say this is a favorite light, but I've been to enough McMenamins now that I've seen multiple sun/moon neon lights (Barley Mill, Tavern & Pool, Blue Moon, etc.). So I find the continued motif curious. This one has an additional blue neon streak and I found it impossible to take a detailed photo of with my camera phone.




Favorite art: I love this large mural because it contains cameos of many of the characters from other McMenamins locations. And it's a Hehn, who I now realize is one of my favorite McMenamins artists.


Spar Café, Crystal & Baghdad:

 

Black rabbit from Edgefield & the coffee roaster cat:




Food: Hillsdale bacon cheeseburger, fresh tots, Ruby ale milkshake, RC.

Passport stamps: Hillsdale Brewery & Public House


Other items of note:
  • One of the servers told me they built the little booth gazebo thing in the last year. I hadn't thought about it until he mentioned it, but I realize I've seen quite a few of them at the other locations, so it must be a general initiative.
  • This was one of the locations I stopped during my big Ultimate McMenamins Ride in 2012. I rode my bike all the way from Forest Grove to Troutdale, stopping at several McMenamins along the way. When I reached Hillsdale I had no idea how close I was to finally cresting the big hill which would mark the easy slide to Edgefield, but I was proud I had made it that far and celebrated with an Edgefield Fizz.
  • What IS that keg-light outside?



I'm a sucker for calligraphy:


1 comment:

  1. The lettering - calligraphy is wonderful. All caps is tough to do. That is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete